Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Too Much No

First off, I would like to appologize for the lack of posts lately.  I have to admit I have been hibernating inside since it has been so hot.  I am not a fan of summer...at all. I count the days till fall and winter.  I know, I know. I am crazy. But I don't do hot very well.
Anyway, on with today's post.
A few months ago, in a town near here there was a controversy.  A large company wanted to open a waste transfer area.  It would have brought jobs into the area they said and it would have been a place where recycling of industrial waste would occur.  Well, the town freaked out. Some were for it, some were against it.  Many months went by of debates, public meetings, letters to the editor, friend against friend.  Personally, I did and still do not have an opinion either way.  So the people who were against 'the dump' as they called it, starting putting signs up on fence posts that bordered the highway.  Now, I am not against signs or stating your opinion, but these signs made me crazy every time I drove by them.  I will tell you what was on them.
First, the back ground was white.  In black letters were the words 'No Dump.'  Fine, that's all good.  Next was a red circle around the words, with a red line THROUGH the words.  Now, correct me if I am wrong, but does the red circle and line denote the idea of 'no'?
So theoretically these signs were saying 'No No Dump.'  That's a double negative.  It's like Homer Simpson saying 'I'm not NOT licking toads.' Which in his case he WAS licking toads.  So does the sign say,  'Yes, come to us dump, we love you!'  I don't know.  The signs made me mental.  I wanted to shout 'Pick the circle and the line, or the word 'no' but not both! It's redundant!' Gah! Whoever thought of the signs really needed to understand the red circle and the line.  Or....and this just occured to me, maybe those who were not in favour of the dump were so passionate about it, they needed to say 'no' twice, to really hammer their point home.  I don't know. It is all too much for me, these 'No No Dump' signs.
And to make matters worse, they are still around, even though the dump was not approved.  I wonder if people think if the signs are taken down, the dump will sneak back, like a thief in the night.  And when everyone wakes up in the morning, there it is!! Oh my goodness! How did that get there! I KNEW we should have left the 'No No Dump' signs up! Look what has happened! This stupid dump has snuck right back into our community!
I don't know....do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment