Thursday, October 11, 2012

First Snow Fall

It snowed last night. Not a lot, but enough to gather in low places and be swept up against fences by the wind. It is just a skiff, really. It sits and gathers in the long grasses and along the ditches, but not on the road.  It sits on my roof and on the deck, but not in the short grass in my yard.  If it sticks around for the whole day I can consider it the 'First' snow fall. I have rules you know about this sort of thing.  If it snows and it doesn't stick, it doesn't count. If it snows and it sticks, but for less than a day, it doesn't count. So, we shall see how this snow stacks up.

I love fall, as some of you probably know. I just love it. And I love the first snow even more. I love to watch the heavy clouds drift across the sky and watch the sheets of snow fall out of the sky.  I love to wake up in the morning and see snow on the ground.  It is like a tiny little surprise. In fact, when I went out this morning, I looked at the ground and said 'Oh! Snow!' And I was a little bit happy. I think why I love snow so much is because it reminds me of being a kid. It reminds me of how much fun I used to have in winter building forts and snowmen and playing street hockey.  It reminds me that when you are a kid, you don't hate it.  You only start to hate winter when you grow up.  How come?  I encourage everyone to embrace snow this winter. Go out in it. Take a walk in the cold afternoon and listen to the snow crunch on your boot. Listen to the wind in the power line.  Listen to the birds calling to each other in the crisp air.  Watch the sun shine off the snow crystals.  Marvel at the hoar frost on a fence, on a tree, on the antenna of your car.  Winter is beautiful. You just have to know how to look at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment